Pages

Friday, July 11, 2008

Something...wonderful...

PSP_008579_9020_Fullres_Inset.jpgSpace exploration is a magic thing, isn't it, Dave Bowman?

Anyway, now that I've got my A. C. Clark reference out of the way, I want to do something that I don't actually do that often on this blog: simply evangelize something that I read on the way.

Truth is that I meant to leave for work 20 minutes ago but am sitting at my desk at home waiting for my iPhone to finish updating to the 2.0 software (you knew I wouldn't be able to wait, didn't you?). It seems hung at a "contacting the iTunes store" validation step. You figure they're seeing some traffic, eh?

Anyway, I was was reading the always exotic Emily Lakdawalla's Planetary Society Blog when I came across an absolutely fantastic post on the complexities of creating Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's amazing mid-air image of Mars Phoenix. Read it here!

Emily has been a great source of information during Phoenix's sometimes troubled career on Mars. Whereas I've got a cranky pessimism about the mission, she's always hopeful (and much better connected to the science team, which definitely gives her more cred than I!).

No comments: